Book Review Sources
Try these sites for teen book reviews and recommendations:
Silent Sustained Reading, SSR
Twice a week, the Sizer community devotes advisory time to reading. Every student and teacher reads silently for 20 minutes.
Purposes for SSR
- To increase the time students read.
- To increase the amount of reading that students do.
- Inspire/foster a love for reading.
- Increase the time students read for pleasure and information.
- Value and build on language, interests, and experiences students bring to school.
- Learn about each other as readers.
- Build reading confidence and independence.
- Send implicit message that personal reading is a worthy act.
- Provide time in the weekly Sizer academic schedule to support a community of readers.
- Students increase their personal vocabulary.
- Students more often share and discuss texts read.
- Students become more familiar with a wide variety of texts.
- Students improve their fluency.
What is essential?
- Students read to themselves for a limited amount of time. It’s quiet.
- Each student selects his/her own book, magazine, or newspaper (appropriate for a school setting). No changing during the reading period is permitted. All materials must be chosen before SSR period begins.
- Students and teachers keep a simple record which captures the reading during the SSR time. This record is used for student self reflection, to help us know if our purposes are being met, and as a communication tool between student and teacher. A copy will go in the student’s portfolio.
- SSR is part of advisory and is part of the advisory effort grade.